Stokes and Bairstow went on a run-fest today and broke record after record as they took England to 629 for 6 – declared. By that time Ben Stokes had scored 258 runs before being run-out and Jonny Bairstow had scored 150 runs not out. They broke records all through their unbelievable knock.
Stokes got to 200 in just 163 balls thus beating the mighty Sir Ian Botham who had taken all of 220 to set the record. His stand with Bairstow of 399 is a world record for the sixth wicket. Stokes also managed to score 130 runs in the first session of the day and set up yet another record.
Amongst various records the key ones were –
- They set the fastest 300 partnership
- They set the highest Test partnership for the sixth wicket
- Stokes got the highest score by any number six
- Scored the fastest Test 200 by an England batsman
- Stokes hit the most sixes by an England batsman in an innings – 11
- Stokes scored the fastest Test double century
That really was one hell of a day!